We are are looking for a year-round Controller to support our business in the fun and adventure based tourism sector of heli-skiing. This role presents the ultimate job satisfaction and flexibility; can be office or remote work based and full-time or part-time.
Mica Heliskiing offers luxury heli-skiing trips from a remote back-country setting north of Revelstoke, British Columbia. We are a fun, supported and dedicated team offering a superior guest experience and relaxed atmosphere at our luxury lodge.
The person we seek is innovative, self-motivated, detail-oriented and enjoys problem-solving.
Working closely with senior management, the Controller plays a key role in guiding the company’s financial decisions through the development of appropriate policies, procedures and reports and the monitoring of control systems designed to preserve company assets and report accurate financial results.
This position offers a competitive salary, flexible schedule, remote work, generous vacation time and health benefits.
- Work Term: Year-round, Full-time or Part-time for the right candidate
- Assist Senior Management in formulating the company future direction and supporting strategic initiatives
- Contribute to the implementation of strategic business plans
- Develop financial and tax strategies
- Work closely in preparing both the operating and capital budgets
- Work with the management team to identify, develop, monitor and control key performance measures
2. Finance, Accounting and Human Resources
- Oversee accounts payable performed by accounting support: credit applications, purchase orders, appropriate approvals, entry of invoices, payments, and reconciliations
- Oversee payroll activities including gratuities, T4 slips, records of employment, payroll taxes, group insurance, and staff purchases
- Oversee management of benefit plan; contact person for communication with benefit provider
- Oversee cash management and petty cash operations as per cash management policy
- Oversee reconciliation of cash outs and data interface from reservations and POS management systems to accounting system
- Oversee monthly bank reconciliations for both companies, periodically performing bank reconciliation
- Oversee general ledger accounting activities, performed by accounting support
- Ensure accuracy of Mica inter-company transactions Ensure compliance of filings with the company insurer(s), WSBC, City of Revelstoke, Landlord, CRA, and provincial tax authorities
- Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data In collaboration with Reservations personnel, manage accounts receivable collections
- Ensure that all accounting practices are in accordance with GAAP Ensure appropriate internal controls are in place and are practiced
- Take an active role in the tracking of capital spending
- Prepare monthly financial statements, presenting variances from budget and interpretation to be signed off by General Manager
- Provide support and coaching to management team to ensure a functional understanding of financial statements and accounting reports
- Work with management team to manage inventory of physical assets Perform daily accountings functions as required (AP, GL, AR, Payroll)
- Review and prepare all returns and filings (often in collaboration with General Manager)
- Responsible and accountable for all adjustments in preparation for year-end process
3. Risk Management
- Along with other Senior Management, ensure the company's financial and accounting policies and procedures comply with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Ensure that financial and accounting record keeping meets the requirements of auditors and governmental agencies
- Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
- Work with management team to define appropriate managerial accounting metrics and work with the team to ensure their effective measurement, reporting and control
- Work to produce cash flow forecasts to ensure Senior Management has appropriate and timely funding information
- Become proficient with reservation, POS and Accounting software
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Maintains financial staff by coaching, counseling and monitoring, and appraising job results of accounting staff
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications and establishing personal networks participating in professional societies as applicable
Certified Professional Accountant (CPA)
- Highly competitive remuneration
- Health Benefits
- Flexible work schedule
- Ability to work remotely
- Staff discounts and pro-deals from our industry partners